Improve focus to get things done effectively

15:36:00 0 Comments A + a -

As far as I’ve heard last, there wasn’t a single soul I spoke to who didn’t wish to focus better in everyday chores. As a developer myself, I struggled with keeping focusing as I had gotten used to the habit of being glued to the computer for hours and ended up with chronic stress. When this kinda routine didn’t prove effective, I got demotivated and cursed my ability to program. This habit got so worse that it led to anxiety and stress disorders.
Coming from India, I always heard my teachers, parents, relatives, neighbors- like the entire world tried telling me to start meditating ever since childhood. But as most kids I took their advice for granted and doubted its effectiveness. I believe I was skeptical but I didn’t last long enough for it to work.


Understanding the Brain

To understand how to have undivided focus and get the task done efficiently, one needs to understand how the brain processes information. The easiest way to process information or access memory is to first store the information in small chunks and revise the content every now and then. Therefore, next time when you access that information it can be easily traced back by the brain and this state is what is called the ‘Focus mode’.
The state of focus when you are capable of multitasking like listening to music or a podcast and cook or workout that doesn’t require absolute focus is called the ‘Diffuse mode’. In the ‘Diffuse mode’ the thoughts drift away to another or hit a dead end and mostly unable to trace their path back.
The productive way suggested by neurologists to get things done effectively is to be able to work in the Focus and Diffuse mode intermittently. There are a few techniques I read and tried to follow to improve focus for a couple of years now. Focusing just like any other skill can be improved and gets better with time.


Pomodoro Technique


Meditation

Though meditation is the new talk of the town in the West, it has proven effective for ages to improve focus. Definitely unfathomable how a simple chore of sitting in silence can be intimidating. I find the best time to sit in silence is when I wake up though meditating multiple times a day for even a few minutes could prove quite beneficial.

Take a Nap

Exercise 

If hitting the gym is not an option for you sitting in your chair and doing some breathing exercises, also called as ‘Pranayamas’ can immediately have a similar effect. You will be surprised how breathing deeply and in different ways can flush your brain with good hormones and let’s you de-stress instantly.

Find a place to focus

Do you think you have any tips I have left out? Leave a comment.

Android Developer, Tech Enthusiast, Startup Aficionado, Seeker of Happiness.